Chapter 12 – Massage.
Chapter 13 – Pressure Point Therapies.
Question(s):The benefits of massage can be categorized into physical level, mental level and emotional level.
1. Choose one of them and mention at least three benefits of massage in that chosen level. Mention at least 3 contraindications of massage.
2. Have you ever had a massage? What type of massage? Please, tell about your experience.
Guidelines: The answer should be based on the knowledge obtained from reading the book (only the last part of the question is your opinion/ experience). You must answer all the questions. Your grade will be an average of all parts of the question.
Grading Criteria: Choose one level and mention at least three benefits of massage (30%- 10 points each). Mention at least 3 contraindications of massage (30% – 10 points each). Have you ever had a massage? What type of massage? Tell about your massage experience (40%).
Expert Solution Preview
Massage therapy has been used for centuries in various cultures and is known to provide numerous benefits. There are several different types of massage, and each of them has its unique benefits. In this answer, we will choose the emotional level and discuss the benefits of massage on this level.
Massage therapy can provide several emotional benefits to an individual. Here are three benefits:
1. Reduction of stress and anxiety: Massage therapy is known to reduce stress and anxiety levels. When a person is stressed or anxious, their muscles tend to tense up, which can cause headaches, body pain, and fatigue. Massage therapy can help relax the muscles, thereby reducing the symptoms of stress and anxiety.
2. Mood enhancement: Massage therapy is also known to enhance mood by increasing the release of “feel-good” hormones, such as serotonin and dopamine. These hormones can help reduce feelings of sadness, loneliness, and depression.
3. Improved sleep: Massage therapy is known to improve sleep quality. A good night’s sleep is crucial for emotional well-being, and massage therapy can help individuals get a sound sleep by relaxing their muscles and reducing stress levels.
Contraindications of massage therapy:
1. Infections: If a person has any skin infections, such as cellulitis, then massage therapy should be avoided as it can spread the infection to other parts of the body.
2. Blood clots: Individuals with a history of blood clots should avoid deep tissue massage as it can dislodge the clot and cause serious health issues.
3. Cancer: Individuals undergoing cancer treatment should avoid massage therapy as it can spread the cancer cells to other parts of the body.
My personal massage experience:
Yes, I have had a massage before. It was a Swedish massage, and I must say it was a great experience. The therapist was very professional and made me feel comfortable throughout the session. The massage helped me relax, and I felt a sense of calmness afterwards. I would definitely recommend a massage to anyone who needs to de-stress and relax.
#Chapter #Massage #Chapter #Pressure #Point #Therapies